Sunday, December 6, 2009

SMALL TOWNS ROCK!

My husband and I popped into the Loveland Museum Gallery to have a peek at the new exhibit. www.cityofloveland.org I took a quick look at the watercolors and left to explore other parts of the museum because the watercolors didn’t interest me – they looked “weird.” But when my husband talked me into
giving it another look, I was blown away. Turns out the watercolors were illustrations of Dante’s Divine Comedy by Salvador Dali (1904-1989). No wonder they were weird – Dali is the foremost artist of the Surrealist movement! It seems that 100 watercolors were commissioned by the Italian government in 1957 to celebrate the 700th birthday of Dante Alighieri. Talk about a world class exhibit right in our backyard. Not only can one park for free right in front of the museum but there is no admission to the exhibit!! It reminds me of the three years I lived in Carson City, Nevada – then a small town of 35,000 people. I loved pulling up to the city Post Office and running in and out without hassling traffic, parking spaces, meters or long lines. Small town living can offer no hassle living.

Today, I took my friend to our Habitat for Humanity thrift shop in Berthoud. Berthoud is so small that the thrift shop is the only clothing store in town. She scored two vintage coats and a vintage cocktail dress at their half price sale. (She dropped less than $20.00) and we had a ball! She can’t wait to go out in the cold in her grey, wool trench coat or her faux fur that suits her perfectly. Because she has no place to wear her strapless cocktail dress with the fake pearls sprinkled down the front, I may have to throw a cocktail party so she can dazzle us.

Don’t underestimate the attractions small towns have to offer - one can have a great time!

- Quinn

No comments:

Post a Comment