Monday, December 7, 2009

AWAY FROM HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS

My son will not be celebrating Christmas with us. He lives too far away. This will be our third holiday season without him since he graduated from college and took a job in Alaska. I cope by chatting with him on the phone about his plans: Where he is going for dinner, what will they eat, who will be there, what he will bring, have I met any of these people…. I use my imagination to visualize him laughing, happy and enjoying himself with someone else’s family.

Last month, I missed his twenty-fifth birthday celebration and sharing Thanksgiving Day with him. In the next four weeks, he will not be with us at Christmas, or at his father and my 40th wedding anniversary party or at my birthday dinner. It seems like a lot of occasions to celebrate without him.

This year I am struggling with his absence a bit more than I have done the past two years. Yesterday, when I unpacked the Christmas decorations, I came across a red satin ball with his name written in glue and sprinkled with silver glitter. It was given to him in 1989 when he was five years old and signed by someone I no longer remember. I held the ball, tempted to mail it to him to put in his own home in Anchorage. Instead, I wrapped it in tissue and put it back in the box.

I join countless other empty nesters who will celebrate the holidays without their sons and daughters who are in the military, overseas, or working at jobs far away. We will be saddened by the lack of their presence next to us at the dinner table, but at the same time gladdened that they are in our hearts and in our lives.

1 comment:

  1. I miss Colorado. I'll be coming home in May. -Scott

    ReplyDelete