Tuesday, February 2, 2010

WASTING TIME

I am a worker bee – the product of being raised with the protestant work ethic of my mother. I never learned how to waste time and just be, so I am practicing it this week on vacation in Florida.

My husband and I came to get some sun. My one little carry-on suitcase is filled with sun dresses and such and so far we have not seen the the sun. Yesterday, I came home from a day out with my shoes and socks soaked and my pant legs dripping wet. For lunch we stumbled on an authentic Turkish restruant and I filled my chilled belly with piping hot lentil soup and strong Turkish tea. Looking back, it was a great, nuturing experience. I also bought a tea strainer and some looseleaf green tea to sip as I sit in the condo wasting time.

It is noon and I am still in bed. I have no guilt, no feelings of anxiousness. As the rain pours down outside, I can enjoy the sound of it with the sliding door of my condo open. I have no floors to wash, beds to make, cats to feed. I have a good book and enough green tea and high quality coffee to get me through.

Relaxing is a zen art and I, so late in life, am at last learning the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment